Mount Anville Secondary School


Graphics & DCGGraphics.png


Graphics at junior cycle and DCG (Design & Communication Graphics) at senior cycle were introduced to Mount Anville’s curricula in 2020. Graphics is the underpinning language of technology subjects and the skills developed through graphics are transferrable across a wide range of subjects such as mathematics, science, engineering and art. Graphics is foremost focused on the exploration of the geometric world around us, graphical communication, spatial visualisation, creative problem-solving, design and modelling, both physically and through the use of CAD (computer-aided design).

Graphics or DCG emphasises the value of skills such as being accurate, being organised, practicably capable, ethical/intuitive design, spatial awareness, visualisation skills and the communication of information through varying methods,

Both courses incorporate practical and exam based assessments which encompass the ideology that practical application of skills learned is vital for being a creative problem solver with good spatial awareness and visualisation abilities.

Junior Cycle: Graphics – formerly “Technical Graphics”


In junior cycle Graphics, students develop their creativity, spatial ability, and capacity to reason and communicate ideas through engagement with abstract and applied geometric problem-solving activities. Graphics encourages the development of the cognitive and practical dexterity skills associated with graphical communication

Students will build an appreciation of the role of graphics in the world around them and will make judgements on the best mode through which to represent their ideas and solutions

Syllabus Structure:

Learning will be experienced across three strands – 2D Graphics, 3D Graphics and Applied Graphics. Throughout each of the strands, the use of four elements: Spatial reasoning, Design thinking, Communicating and Geometric principles and construction creates a framework for student learning that ensures a coherent learning experience.

Assessment Components:

Classroom Based Assessment 1:Communication through sketching

  • Completed within a three-week period in second year
  • Students will develop their skills in using effective sketching methods and media to accurately communicate their vision, design and solution
  • The student can communicate their findings through any appropriate media
  • Recorded on the students’ Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement (JCPA)

Classroom-Based Assessment 2:Graphical presentation skills

Completed within a three-week period in third year Students will focus on how to effectively present their research graphically. It will inform the project assessment element. Students will research and investigate the domain in which the project is situated and present their findings graphically through any appropriate graphical media. This Classroom-Based Assessment is an opportunity to instil in students a curious disposition, where they are free to experiment, encouraged to explore new and challenging opportunities and to reflect on the process. Recorded on the students’ JCPA.

After completion of each Classroom-Based Assessment (CBA), teachers engage in a Subject Learning & Assessment Review (SLAR) meeting to discuss student learning and share effective practice. Both CBAs are assessed by teachers using Features of Quality as set out in the Assessment Guidelines provided by the National Council for Curriculum & Assessment (NCCA).

Project and Examination

On completion of the Classroom-Based Assessments, students undertake a project. The project is completed after the second CBA in third year. The brief for the project is set and marked by the State Examinations Commission (SEC). The project accounts for 30% of the final SEC grade with the final exam accounting for the other 70%.

For more information on junior cycle Graphics please see:

Mount Anville Secondary School
Principal: Ms. Caffrey
Deputy Principal: Ms. Kelly

Mount Anville Road, Dublin 14, D14 A8P3, Ireland

RCN: 20145095
Students Office
01 283 2373

Finance, Facilities & Operations
01 283 2373

© 2023 Mount Anville Secondary School